Thursday, November 16, 2006

Because the phone book is for losers.


After Google Local recently failed me (there is no Gap store at 625 6th Ave #3, Google, but don’t worry, I still love you), I went to maps.a9.com to verify another address Google gave me. A9 had this great feature that let you see street level photos of the storefronts in popular cities, like Manhattan, and take a virtual sideways stroll down the big streets. To my shock, surprise, and dismay, maps.A9 closed shop from pressure from bigger rivals. Rumor is that Google Earth will include full textured 3-d renderings of buildings which would definitely out-cool A9’s functionality.
On the plus side, I found a map site, alkemis that shows some potential, if only they throw in some more nifty features on top of mapping movies and live traffic cams.

No comments: